Pages

Monday, July 8, 2013

I never thought...

I'd be a runner.  You see, I have been a figure skater for over half of my life. I started running to help stay in shape for skating, but then something happened.  My kindergarten teacher and former co-worker was diagnosed with cancer.  I started to relive feelings I felt when my mom was diagnosed with Hodgkin's over 15 years ago.  At one point during my mom's treatments, she told me that you only have one life, so you need to take advantage of each moment.

I decided to run the Disney World Princess Half Marathon this year. The Princess Half Marathon benefits the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society, as well as other charities. I had originally wanted to run as part of Team in Training, but I started too late to fund raise for it. My mom was worried that I wouldn't be able to do it at first.  I had only run two 5Ks prior to deciding, one of which I sprained my ankle.

From October on, I have developed a love of running.  I spent time and energy running farther and farther than I ever imagined I would run.  I sought advice from runners who had run Disney before (This site has great advice).  I began to feel better about running and my decision to run the Princess Half as my first half marathon.

February came, and I completed the Princess in 2:44:27 (chip time). I started in corral F and enjoyed every moment of the race.  There was always something to see or people cheering us on. I made some rookie mistakes (cotton t-shirt), but I was running for a purpose.  Even though I didn't run for Team in Training, I felt like I was supporting them.

Since the Princess, I have finished three more 5Ks, achieved a 5K PR of 27:28.10, and married my husband.  This year has been full of many adventures, and I can't wait to see what else this year has in store! 

Thanks Marathon Foto for the only picture I have during the race!

No comments:

Post a Comment