Pages

Thursday, February 19, 2015

Bittersweet

This weekend marks the beginning of my third year of real running. It was two years ago that I ran the Disney Princess Half Marathon, which was my first long distance race. I'd run 5ks before, but nothing longer since there weren't many races near me. But I had this idea in my head that I could do it.
I originally thought about doing it through Team in Training, but the fundraising commitment date was soon. (This was before runDisney events became extremely popular). I signed up at the end of October and started training. I was working as a substitute teacher, and I was able to work my runs around my schedule. Then winter hit Pennsylvania hard. My training started to suffer. When I did get out there, my runs consisted of dodging snowplow trucks, garbage trucks, school buses, ice and snow. It was rough going, but I somehow made it work. 
When my mom and I left for Florida for our trip, it was a blizzard in PA. Our plane was late leaving Pittsburgh due to de-icing. When we arrived in Florida, it was beautiful. But my training had prepared me to run in cold, not heat. On race morning, it was 70* F with 90-95% humidity at 3 in the morning. But I still ran. 
I made a lot of rookie mistakes, cotton tshirt, Capri pants, no hydration belt. But I still ran my race, and cried the last quarter mile. I had put so much time and energy into training, and I was sad to see it come to an end. 
Now, I am a two time half marathoner, and a full marathoner! I have learned so much about running since that race! 
I hope that all the runners this weekend have a magical race!

In other news, my first Nuun shipment  came. I got two bottles, three tattoos, three decals, and 11 tubes of Nuun! I'm so excited!

No comments:

Post a Comment